Tuesday, August 7, 2007

National Night Out


Our neighbor, Sondra, who lives behind us hosted a neighborhood gathering for National Night Out this evening. Though I only stayed a short time before having to bring Cosette in to go to bed, we enjoyed getting to know our neighbors better. We have many neighbors who are immigrants from Somalia, Laos, Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Mozambique. I finally met the matriarch of the Somalian family next door, Qali. She operates her own Islamic book/men's clothing/toy/furniture store in the Somali Market. Johnny especially enjoyed drinking some fresh roasted coffee that our neighbor from Eritrea made, and he talked with our Laos neighbor about his stays in Thailand, Paris, and finally the U.S. where he is now a citizen. Henri played with our young Somali & Ethiopian neighbors. One reason I'm sad to leave this area is that there are so many people representing different cultures right here in our neighborhood that we can learn about. What an education! (What a mission field!)

No comments: