Sunday, July 27, 2008

cdc on vaccines

Thanks everyone for your comments on vaccinations. Though I was tempted to leave it at that and remain torn on the issue, I pressed on with more research, but this time reading more on why we should vaccinate. The CDC has some interesting articles (pro-vaccines obviously):
Those articles made me feel better about following along with the vaccine schedule. However, I do have a few more concerns:

Doesn't it seem like they're so excited about vaccinating for preventable diseases that they're developing vaccines for everything, and therefore, getting carried away? I have yet to get over the fact that it seems harmful to mess with our immune systems so extensively at such a young age. (I put that in italics because I KNOW that I have no scientific evidence to back that up.)

For example:
  • Did Cosette really need to get a Hepatitis B vaccine at the hospital as a newborn?
  • A Chicken Pox vaccine?
  • Gardasil?
  • The author (a doctor) of one of my books on food allergies was hoping for a food allergy vaccine to be developed.
I'm still reading about vaccine safety, and I really appreciate the comments from my previous post as well as e-mails on the issue. I have been questioning this for years, and I'd like to try and settle the issue in my mind.


More importantly, please keep praying for my friend Mck Mama and her baby's heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yvette, Thanks so much for asking for prayer for me, our baby, and our family. Thank you!!

I think you might really like the book called What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccines. It is not anti vaccination, but it offers a slow, spaced out, delayed schedule of which vaccines our children might need and which they certainly don't (i.e. Vaccines for sexually transmitted diseases for newborns!?!? I don't think so).

And, as far as you mentioning the Chicken Pox vaccine, I am personally very opposed to that one. For a few reasons, one of them being that it was created by slaughtering unborn babies whose mothers had Chicken Pox, and tissues from the babies were used to make the vaccine!! It's sad, but true.

SUCH a good point, too, about Christian parents coming to different conclusions about things and that being OKAY if we are seeking Him, though. I am sure you may have already, but if you want to know many of my thoughts on the matter, you can click on the label "not vaccinating our children" on the sidebar of my blog.

I know you are seeking God and I will pray that you will make the right decision for YOUR family!!

Jenny said...

I know.. hep B at birth is what made me start to question this.

I was like, "what shot are you giving her?" (Corene)

"Hep B"

"Isn't that a STD?"

"Well, it's a protection in case the mother has it, it can be passed during childbirth"

"I'm the mother. I don't have Hep B."

Like, DUH? That made absolutely no sense to me. then screen the mothers if they are at risk for Hep B and vaccinate THOSE babies.

It's such a huge subject and so overwhelming, don't get too bogged down in it :)

It can be a really guilt-ridden process of education. I don't like that part of it. Guilt from anti-vax folks, and LOTS of guilt from doctors.

Hang in there, you're a great mom :)

Bree said...

As the official Autism mommy of your fellow bloggers, I have to say that I too am very conflicted on this topic. By the time I became aware of the possible harms that vaccines may cause, it was already too late. Both my children were up to date on their shots and Alexander had already received an Autism diagnosis. After Lilly recently had a reaction (fever and rash)after her 2 year shots, we have decided to stop vaccinating the children until I have had the time to fully research the topic and come up with an alternate schedule.

I actually had the pleasure of hearing Stephanie Cave (the author of What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations)speak and it was very enlightening. She is a doctor who is very pro-vaccines, but believes that the current schedule is doing more harm than good and also questions many of the ingredients used within the vaccines. She also recommends testing to see if your children are naturally immune to some of the diseases (which many are) and spacing them out much further.

There was a study done in Africa recently that showed that infants vaccinated after 2 months of age had a 50% less chance of getting asthma than those vaccinated at birth because their immune systems were stronger (many groups are beginning to link the increase in respritory issues in children to vaccines as well). She also showed a lot of information on Guardasil. Many states are trying to pass a law requiring it for all girls before entering the 6th grade, but the lead researcher who helped to develop the vaccine has given a statement saying that it may be ineffective in young girls and should not be administered to anyone under 18 years of age. There were also 3 deaths that occured during the 3 year study and there have been 2 more since it has been released.

Our own pediatrition originally told me (back in January)that vaccines are very safe and have no autism connection, but in my last visit (7 mmonths later) she was explaining that she had always been told that vaccines were safe and is now receiving lots of information about the harm that they are causing.

Part of her change of thought has come from Alexander. He is her only autistic patient and she has seen him really change in a short period of time, thanks, in part, to chelation (heavy metal detox).

Good luck on your search...keep us posted!