Wednesday, April 2, 2008

rash decisions

I gave Cosette oatmeal with rice milk today instead of cow's milk. She still got a redness around her mouth that went away about 5 minutes after she was done eating. Sensitive skin? Is it the oatmeal?

Cosette's polka-dot rash that I thought was from lotion was still there today. It looked a little worse, covering her arms, legs, & belly.

Her eczema has been bright red this past week and spreading furiously, which is why I've been concerned about food allergies with her.

Anyway, I talked to a nurse at our clinic this afternoon, and she suggested that I bring her in right away. The nurse suspected the rash to be an allergic reaction to the Amoxicillin Cosette's been taking (her first time on antibiotics) to treat her recent stinky ear infection.

They scheduled us for the last appointment of the day which was in less than one hour. My hair was wet from a shower* & Henri was napping. I scrambled to dry my hair, get dressed, and assemble the kids--plus put together some food to bring along since it was almost dinnertime.

Diagnosis:
  • Here's the good news. Our doctor changed his diagnosis of Cosette's eczema to ringworm (yeast/fungal infection). He said that its flaring up because the antibiotics have destroyed all the good bacteria that has been keeping it at bay. While the antibiotics got rid of one infection, the other infection took off.
So why is ringworm good news? If the anti-fungal cream (that sounds so gross) clears up the rash, it means that Cosette might not have any eczema! Perhaps she doesn't have food allergies after all! Hooray!

So what's the polka-dot rash?
  • Our doctor said that it could be an allergic reaction to the antibiotics (Boo!).
  • But he thinks it is more likely that she has a virus that has caused the rash (hooray!).
What are we doing?
  1. We took Cosette off the antibiotics, just in case she is allergic to Amoxicillin.
  2. We have a cream to apply to what we thought was eczema. Pray that it works and the rash goes away. Also pray that she doesn't have food allergies or eczema.
  3. We wait & see what the other rash does. If it takes more than 3 days to go away, its probably due to a virus. If it takes less, it could be the antibiotics, but we won't know for sure.
  4. I'm holding off on eliminating dairy & wheat from her diet until we see what this cream does for her rash.
Until then, here is Cosette happily eating her yogurt.

*Don't you sometimes shower in the afternoon? :) I actually got on the treadmill this morning, but I couldn't stay on it for more than five minutes. I had strained a muscle in my leg two days ago while jogging, and I am still limping. Did I mention that it has been months since I used our treadmill? I'm trying to get back on it again, regularly.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

She is beautiful! I read about the milk and wheat free diet on mck mama's page and came to check you out. We thought my son had Celiac's disease and were on a glutten free diet for a little while. It turns out he doesn't have that, but I would still like to pursue a stricter diet like that to make sure those things aren't causing him problems. It is hard!

CKR said...

Yvette - what a whirlwind! I am praying for little Cosette. OH! the treadmill -- yep, mine has been used twice in the last two months and it is quite humbling for me to realize that I am not the runner I used to be :( Someday!

MamaBear said...

That's so many symptoms to deal with! I'm glad you've been able to find some answers. One thing I'd suggest is finding a good probiotic to give her when she's on antibiotics.

I'm an afternoon shower-er myself.

Jenny said...

Boo on allergies. Boo on eczema. Boo on rashes.

Hope it all clears up soon.

I shower in the afternoon about 50% of the time :) the other 50%, I don't shower. kidding. mostly.

Mike and Katie said...

Symptoms-Cosette's immune sytem is struggling from a variety of causes. Certain foods are more difficult to digest. Grains, including rice, millet, corn and oats, nuts, eggs, dairy products. When he body is struggling to fight off all the other problems, anything that's a little hard to digests cause her body to try to fight it off, too.

It would be good to keep her on a first foods diet: veggies, fruits, legumes and mama's milk(?) for at least a month to let her body heal and restore itself. Yogurt is a better source of fats, protein and calcium because it's already partially broken down. Olive oil mixed with beans would also give her good fats. Find powdered Vit-C(or scrape some off an adult tablet)to mix in her juice or fruit. Just a pinch along with flax oil, cod liver oil or emu oil. Also a powdered probiotic in addition to the yogurt. My chiropractor said that so much of the probiotic goes right through them that it's important to use it frequently. 1/8 tsp 2-3 times per day mixed in fruit or yogurt.

Avoid any vaccines for several months and find Vaccusick if she's had vaccines. Since vaccine viruses enter the body through the injection site insted of the G.I. tract sometimes the body doesn't know how to fight them off, so it attacks everything. Vaccusick is a homeopathic remedy by Nutrition Dynamics that will help the body to heal itself.(All from personal experience with immunity trouble.)

MerrandaVK said...

Hi, I found your site through MCK Mama.. I just wanted to comment that my daughter has had reaction to antibiotics before, in the form a polk-a-dot rash on her arms, chest, tummy. Maybe that is what it is. She has reacted to 2 different kinds of antibiotics in the past that way.

Good luck and hope your little girl feels better :)

Our Family said...

Oh my goodness I love Cossett's smile! She is precious!

It might have helped aid my question Saturday night, about her, if I would have taken a gander at your blog. :)

I hope things clear up soon. It's no fun being sick.

Kristi said...

Oh, the wonderings!!!

I hope that you find some answers to your questions about what is going on with your little sweetie!!!

And, yes, my treadmill is getting a bit "dusty" as well!! :-)